Skills To Look For SREs
- Engineer background
- Should be able to teach themselves*
- Focus -> Learn about the tech
- Shouldn't resistance to change
- Impose changes
- Being able to learn new skills
- Good reverse engineers
- No backward thinkers
- See the big pictures
- Jack of all trades
- Make decisions with data
- Finding the root cause
- How are you going to software yourself out of the problem
- Follow the scientific method for solving an issue
- Ability to say No
- Read documentation and updating it
- Understand what skills you need to learn for your day to day operation
- Ask questions
- Everyone is doing SRE. Learn what your team is doing first and the work yourself outerwear.
- Trust everyone to be doing the right thing.
- Learn the tools
- Make sure you join a company with SRE training
- Find friendly Sr. SRE to learn from them. A SRE should want to share all his knowledge to grown other people.
- Learn how engineers develop. Learn their tooling
Most Important Training
- Make them use your product
- Teach some of the soft parts.
- Working with a distributed team.
- Make sure people can run the scary scripts. Make it easy to rerun script in production and feel safe.
- Chapter 28 in SRE book
- Allow people to fail.
- Guide to the answer, don’t give them the answer.
- Don’t assume they know everything.
- Feedback is very important
- Be ready to take the feedback
- Don’t give the a task. Give them a problem
- Give them solutions and make they can pick between them.
- Over Explain
- Reverse engineer a service
- What would it happen games?
- Share wars stories with new SRE. It will make the feel that is okay to failed.
- Training new SRE is valuable to finding holes.
- What is the learning plan for this before
- Things that are important for SREs need to happen a cross an organization. If this is not the case you don’t really have a SRE team.
- Start working on things that you don’t want to be doing 6 months down the line.
- Make sure the CEO knows what the SRE team is and doing for the company.
- Use software engineers to help with the backlog.
- Tell people the benefit of a SRE. Use case studies
- Make it easy for engineer to rotate through SRE (Catch and Release)
- Most of the time it’s will be a catch.